Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Rainout

Yesterday was interesting. The plan was to do a 90 minute bike ride through the hills. I had the perfect day planned where after work I would pack up my cycling gear, load the bike on the Thule bike rack and drive out to Lannon for the weekly Tri Wisconsin ride. I was really looking forward to this because it was a rare May weeknight where the temperature was actually nice (high 70’s at 6pm).

I had been checking the forecast all day and there was never more than a 30% chance of rain. However, as I was driving out to Lannon it was getting pretty dark and didn't look real encouraging. The minute I arrived at my destination it started lightly raining. There were at least a dozen cyclists milling around and as I parked I noticed they all slowly moved inside their cars as the rain increased. After parking my car, it started to rain pretty hard so I pulled out my iPhone and saw there was suddenly a severe thunderstorm warning which included hail and 50 mph winds as a bonus. I almost couldn’t believe what I read because as recently as an hour ago there was only a 30% chance of rain and no pending thunderstorms in the forecast.

After confirming this bad news, I basically high-tailed it home, cleaned up the soaking wet bike, removed the road wheel, put on the trainer wheel and cracked out a 90 minute ride on the trainer. As I started my workout, I was happy to see that the Brewer game was on TV and so I got to watch Zack Greinke pitch a gem of a game (they won 8-0), so it made all the running around and nonsense much more tolerable. Workout complete!
My view from the trainer

No comments:

Post a Comment