Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Wrestling with Senior Citizens for Pool Space

Fourth of July week is always when my local pool is drained, cleaned and refilled.  Because of this, I have to use the other Wisconsin Athletic Club pools around town to get in my swims.  Monday I went to swim at the Greenfield club in which I remember they keep the temp way too warm because they utilize the pool for both lap swimming and various water aerobic classes.  On that note, I was hoping it wouldn't be too hot, but was expecting the worst.

Upon arriving to the club after work, all four lanes were occupied with swimmers, so I joined a lane with a lady swimmer.  Much to my surprise the water temp was definitely warmer than most pools, but not quite as horribly hot as it was last year.  Needless to say, I was happy about that. 

I had a big hour and a half swim on the schedule, so I knew I was going to be in the pool for a while.  After about 30 minutes I got kicked out of my lane because water classes appeared to be starting at 5:30pm and the instructor apparently needed two full lanes for water zumba for about 8 senior citizens.  I guess those seniors really need their space!  I politely moved over a lane and joined another guy who was swimming.  At this point we have 2 lanes for lap swimming and 2 lanes being used for 8 seniors doing water aerobics.



Then, a few minutes later the instructor came up to me again and said she may have to also take the third lane if any more people showed up for the class. That would have given 5 lap swimmers 1 lane and the 10 water zumba participants a full 3 lanes (keep in mind...25 yards long).

The good news is that she did not have to take the third lane and I think if she wanted to, I might have had to bargain with her for pool space.  It just seemed way excessive to me for the amount of people in the class, but I guess I have never done water aerobics, so maybe I am the dumb one?

Anyway....that's it for random thoughts today.

No comments:

Post a Comment